Monday, April 27

Which way does a compass point in space?

In response to last week's question, “Which way does a compass point in space?”, my wife Alison, responded, “Warning. Warning. It won’t and we’d be Lost in Space, Dr. Smith.”

My friend Tracey wrote, “Unless there is a magnetic field where you are in space, the compass needle would move freely.” To this, my running friend Tony responded, “Based upon what I have learned about magnetic field theory in college, it would point in the direction of the strongest field. Planetary objects, solar winds, and stellar phenomenon all generate magnetic fields and impact the positioning of the compass needle. But I have no spacely idea or the funds to go up and find out!”

Thankfully, my colleague Chris knew that “it would spin wildly unless extremely near another stronger gravitational field like say Sally Struthers, John Goodman or Louie Anderson just to name a few.”

My dad’s beach buddy Bob concluded, “It always points to the heavens!”

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

Can you routinely break your routine? from my friend Bob Siegel

Live well...laugh often..be happy and have a good week…

No comments: