Monday, May 18

Do you turn the air conditioning up or down to get warm?

In response to last week’s questions, “Do you turn the air conditioning up or down to get warm?”, my college roomie John observed, “it seems that one needs to say something like, "turn the A/C up, it's too cold in here". I say turn up the A/C to get warm; that’s how the thermostat looks. Also, I will bet that many of us grew up without A/C (I did), but now I hear people moan loudly if they do not have A/C in the summer. Personally, I prefer to sweat than shiver.”

My friend Tracey concluded, “You turn the A/C fan down to get warmer although you turn the A/C temp up to get warmer.” My dad referred to his engineering experience and said, “It’s about the thermostat. I turn the thermostat down if I want the air conditioning to run; the opposite would be true if you want the heating to run”…..unless, as my friend Royce wrote, “you have a dyslexic installer.”

My friend Ed observed, “This is the A/C paradox: You turn the A/C down and the temperature goes down, but your electric bill goes up and you end up getting hotter. You turn the A/C up and the temperature goes up, but the bill goes down and you get cooler. Positive feedback. Thermal runaway.”

Many of my friends, including Blair, her mother Marlene, Kurt and Richard all agreed simply, “You turn it off” while my dad’s beach buddy Bob said, “Leave it along because it might be just right where it is.”

“In a Georgia summer,” my published friend Kathleen wrote, “I just walk out on the porch and I get warm, then hot...then go back inside to get comfortable again.” My running friend Tony expanded on the Southern Summer explanation, adding, “I believe that the Southern phrasing helps answer the question. So to make it warmer you "push up the air". This phrasing, however, creates another question in how you push air up.”

Then my sailing and writing friend Rich came to the conclusion: “Turn the AC down till your wife gets cold and needs to snuggle.”
Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":


Why is the 0 on a phone and keyboard after 9 instead of before 1?

Live well...laugh often..be happy and have a good week…

No comments: