Monday, September 28

What is ahead of the curve?



In response to last week’s question, "What is ahead of the curve?,"  my writing and sailing friend Rich replied, "The valley of the beyond average."  My neighbor Al added, "And it's usually a big yellow caution sign and a lot of skid marks" to which my PR colleague Stan declared, "It's the bleeding edge."
When my temple friend Bob noted, "straight, or another curve," my cycling friend Ted shared, "I have learned never to try to predict what lies ahead of the curve and truly live for the moment-I prefer a more derivative question-- which makes me a "slope" kind of guy!!- Sorry--I don't mean to go off on a tangent!! (Think way back to your days in calculus class!)"
My network friend Andrew then explained, "Since we are graded "on the curve" in college, being "ahead of the curve" either means placing out of the course, or getting a better-than-average score, assuming a normal (bell-curve) distribution or something similar. Ahead of the curve usually means you will pass the class, no matter how stupid the rest of the "curve" is or whether you learn anything or not."
Please share your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

What things to you couch?

We don't stop laughing because we get old. We get old because we stop laughing.  Make it a priority to have fun and make others laugh.

Hal

Two more answers to the previously asked, "If Apple made a car, would it have windows?," my writing and sailing friend Rich concluded, "Yes, you need them to see the virtual world that you will be driving through" while my template friend Richard cautioned, "It wouldn’t have Windows, but the operating system would have to be updated every 2 weeks."

Two upcoming events that I'm involved with planning that may be of interest to you or someone you know
·         For golden retrievers, their families and fan, this dog party will celebrate www.grra.com's rescuing more than 3,000 dogs with lunch, family photos, agility course, grooming and creating a 100+ dog group photo.  This year's theme is Hawaiian Luau.   Click here for more info.

·         TAG's annual Social Savvy awards, recognizing the success of being social in small/mid size business as well as enterprise, will feature keynote speakers from Google, CARE, Kaiser Permanente and YikYak    Click here for more info.

Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.  Stop by www.nichelabs.com to see what else I'm up to.

No comments: