Monday, July 20

When something fades in the sun, where does the color go?

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

When are you a nudist (or naturalist) and when are you an exhibitionist? (from a strategy discussion with my friends Daren and Mark)

In response to last week’s questions, “When something fades in the sun, where does the color go?”, my friend Richard concluded that “all the colors pool together in heaven and get distributed in the form of a tan among people who are blessed to have adequate amounts of photopigment in their skin. Since I am photopigment challenged, I am not a recipient of this benefit. People like me only get melanoma.”

My friend Vivian learned differently. “An American Indian myth stated that when wild flowers no longer have their colors, the colors have risen to the sky and have become part of a rainbow. Perhaps that is true of all things that have color and fade.” To this, my friend Tracey agreed, saying “Duh! They save all those calls for rainbows. However, my neighbor Al responded with “Barney, the purple dinosaur, and the Teletubbies would tell you that is where the rainbows get their color. – Oh is that ever sick! ”

My college roomie John saw a dark side when he wrote, “When the color fades, it evaporates and we breathe it into our lungs. All the colors come together to form more brown dung in our bodies.”

My birthday bud Jon, paralleling Einstein saying that energy is never created or destroyed, said that the colors go “back into the sun. As we all know, the white light from the sun is really made up of all different colors of the spectrum. This is how the sun replenishes the colors it needs.”

My dad’s beach buddy Bob described this as “it is absorbed and swallowed up, sort of like dropping a strawberry into a bowl of whipped cream.” My sailing friend Kurt said it’s “the same place the light goes when you turn off the switch.”

Then my sailing and writing friend Rich realized that the colors “become character! For years my wife has tried to toss out my collection of character filled shorts, tees and hats. If only they could talk, what a tale they could tell. Upon further review it's probably a good thing that they can't.”
Live well...laugh often..be happy and have a good week…

No comments: