Monday, November 9

When is your clothing an outfit and not a costume?

In response to last week’s questions, “When is your clothing an outfit and not a costume?”, my birthday bud Jon knows that “it’s an outfit when my wife picks it out.” My friend Tracey understands that it is “when your child approves of it.” And my friend Bill knew an outfit is “when you have to wear a tie.”

My sailing buddy Scott determined that costumes become outfits “the day after Halloween” while my cousin Wes wrote, “it’s a costume in the theater, playing pretend, or at a Halloween Party = costume. Otherwise outfit, unless like me, you are pretending to be normal, them my everyday outfit is a costume.” Or My pilot friend Ted recommended that we “ask either Cher or Madonna.”

My college roomie John cautioned, “Beware of the fashion police. Cosmo has fashion "Dos and Don'ts." I am sure we have all commented on someone's attire, but I have learned we all live in glass houses.”

While John offers reasonable advice, my colleague Effie wanted to agree, but “I’d normally say if you can go to Walmart and not get stared at, you’re wearing an outfit….but as www.peopleofwalmart.com has shown me, “costume” and “outfit” can be considered entirely subjective and is at the discretion of the wearer.” Note: If you haven’t seen this website, you are guaranteed a laugh. Consider bookmarking it for Hump Day.

My neighbor Al observed that it’s an outfit “when it’s a (ah) …. put on.” My friend Richard expounded on this, saying, “When you look at some of the “fashions” worn these days, I don’t think there’s much of a difference. If you wear something because you like it, it is an outfit. If you wear it because someone you like or admire wore something similar, it’s a costume.” To this, my neighbor Dick simplified things, writing, “Check the price tag. An "outfit" costs a lot more than a "costume"according to my wife's closet full of outfits.”

My dad’s beach buddy Bob advised, “A costume is something worn at a party to impress someone. You dress up to display your better side. Of course ones better attributes are sometimes displayed without either clothes or costumes!”

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

How does a guess become educated?

Live well...laugh often and heartily….be happy, have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!

No comments: