Tuesday, January 3

What is good about dropping a ball (peach, pelican or other object) to signify the start of the new year?


In response to last week’s question, “What is good about dropping a ball (peach, pelican or other object) to signify the start of the new year?”,  my friend Richard suggested “It’s representative of the year to come, since most of the time when you are depending on someone to get something done, there’s a good chance they will drop the ball too.”   My dad’s beach buddy Bob added, “It signifies that you are beginning the year as a loser.”

However, my friend Blair found a fun side to this when she wrote, “If you’re in Mobile, Alabama it’s a tasty way to start the year – they do it with a 600-lb electric “MoonPie over Mobile.” More importantly,  before midnight, they serve up a giant Moon Pie, and hand out the regular sized variety too!”   Like Blair appreciating Moon Pies, my dad shared his appreciation for fine crystal when he wrote, “I don't know what is good, but it would be major bad if the ball in Times Square dropped and broke. All of that Swarorvki crystal scattering all over.”

My colleague Kosol shared something all of his colleagues can appreciate, “I'm not sure why dropping the ball is a good thing for New Year's.  However, I do know, I better not drop the ball at work.”

My pilot friend Ted observed, “This whole ball dropping thing is a symbol of emasculation and was obviously invented by someone's wife's wishes for the new year!”  My friend Royce replied, “I could come up with all sorts of interesting Freudian comments, but I had best let this one slip by and just wish everyone a Happy and Healthy New Year.” 

My videographer friend Ivan concluded, “It beats dropping a bomb’ while my college roomie John saw the positive side, “Instead of dropping, maybe it should rise up!  When excited for something new, don't we get "up" for the occasion?  After a time, we are worn out and and we fade or drop.”

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

How do we know this year is actually new?

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is mystery. Today is a gift.  Remember to smile and enjoy.
Hal

So this is a little late.  Aligned with our long New Year’s weekend of sailing, I had the intention, not a schedule, for distributing this message this morning.

And happy birthday to my sailing friend and all-round nice guy, Mike!

No comments: