Tuesday, December 27

Why is it good that some things put hair on your chest?


< This was to be published prior to the 12/27 posting about Santa Claus >
In response to last week’s question, “Why is it good that some things put hair on your chest?“, my cable marketing friend Taylor, who noted that this was his “first ever response to a Hmmmm philosophized that this has the same basic meaning as ‘that which does not kill you makes you stronger’.”

My friend Richard  shared, “two thoughts:  (1) Where else (other than on top of your head) would you POSSIBLY want hair to grow? (2) It’s actually only good for men; not so much for women.”  My dad’s beach buddy Bob countered, “For protection against women with hair on their chest...hot stuff.”

My sailing and writing friend Rich concluded, “No good comes from any additional hair on the chest no matter how it got there.  Having reached an age where the occasional EKG is required on my broken heart and as a card carrying Cro-Magnon I can attest the removal of those little sensors hurts a bunch.”   My college roomie John pushed back, writing, “it is better than putting hair on your butt?!” My cousin Wes shared, “I wouldn't know. Since I have no hair on my chest, I must not have experienced any of those things.”

Then my friend Swany reminisced, “My father always gave the sage advice that eating or drinking certain things would "put hair on my chest."  Well, 50 years later and still only 1 hair has ever appeared on my chest. (The 1 hair probably couldn't decide whether to grow on top of my head or in the other, more southern region so it settled for the chest.)  The stuff dad made me eat and drink was either crap or my dad was not as wise as I believed as a kid.  Regardless, I too have found myself telling my kids when they wince at asparagus, push away the Brussels sprouts or shiver at spinach, "If you eat that, it will put hair on your chest."  My daughter doesn't like the concept.” 

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:
If the other 2/3 of the world were Christian, could Santa still deliver everything on one night?
In the dictionary, play comes before work.  Work is rewarding, enjoyable and necessary. Just remember to play to make a better day.

Hal

Tue night: Happy Hanukkah to my Jewish family and friends.  Bring on the latkes.
Wed night: Winter Solstice --- the longest night of the year.  Another reason to celebrate!

No comments: