Monday, October 7

Why don’t Latinos speak Latin?



In response to last week’s question, "Why don’t Latinos speak Latin?", my news service friend Patrick declared, "Dan Quayle thinks they do."

My sailing friend Kurt observed, "Latinos do speak Latin just like Americans speak English. Both have had all of the sharp corners and rough edges worn off."

My social media friend Mark replied, "I'll bet some of them do" to which my writing and sailing friend
Rich added, "Latinos are speaking Latin just like the Brits and Americans are speaking German. Jump in the way back machine and see if it ain't 'veritas'."

My shop owner friend Bruce then clarified, "Simple - they are not really Latinos...they are (according to the Nixon Administration, who popularized the term) "Hispanic."  But the grand majority of those claiming this cultural title are not from ancient Hispania (the Iberian Peninsula), either...  Lo siento!"

My dad's beach buddy Bob concluded, "Because Latin is a dead language that only Romans speak."  To this, my cousin Wes added, "Only retro-Catholic priests do. Actually Latinos who speak Espanol speak a "Latin" language. God bless those Romans, otherwise we might all be Greekos."

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

Why do people talk to their dog or cat in full sentences?

Life  is too short for drama and petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly, and forgive  quickly.

Hal 
Hal Schlenger

If you know someone with a golden retriever in the ATL area, please let me know so that I can invite them to a great dog party (a petting zoo of sorts) on Oct 13.  Info at www.grra.com.
What is a dog's favorite food? Anything that is on your plate!

    
[Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration.]

No comments: