Monday, October 28

Why do "overlook" and "oversee" mean opposite things?



In response to last week’s question, " Why do "overlook" and "oversee" mean opposite things?", my musical friend Blair concluded, "One may look but not really see. In that case, one has overlooked what should have been seen."  My friend Richard added, "In the same vein, one will not see everything one should.  When one “oversees” something, one is focused on what is truly happening and so is less likely to “overlook” anything important.  I’m sure my wife could confirm that I am much better at overlooking things than I am at overseeing them!"

My dad's beach buddy Bob advised, "Usually because if you look over the top you will never see what you are supposed to be paying attention to."

When my friend Royce wrote, "Because Noah Webster says so," my often humorous friend Lon added, "If you reverse each word segment, then you get "lookover" and "seeover".  Not sure that this means anything  but it sounds good."

My social media friend Mark noted, "Because it is American English. Why are the definitions for to, two, and too different? 'Why can you read a book, but you have read a book, that has pages made of reeds?' said my friend Reid, who has red hair."

And then my friend Patrick queried, "Even more importantly, why is 'cleave' the opposite of 'cleave'?"

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

What do candy corns grow on?

Live well...laugh often and heartily.... have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal

Happy birthday to our son Zak on Tue.  And have a safe and fun Haloween.
 
[Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration.]

No comments: