Monday, December 16

For how long does a fruitcake last?



In response to last week’s question, "For how long does a fruitcake last?", my dad's beach buddy Bob observed, "some live to be 100" to which my cycling friend Ted added, "Most fruitcakes stay fruitcakes for a lifetime."  My wise friend Richard quantified this, "Whether human or dessert, the average lifespan of a fruitcake is approximately 78 years."  And then my birthday bud Jon recalled, "Depends who he's with!   (Reminds me of a great Hollywood Squares bit--when they asked Paul Lynde if a date was a fruit or a nut, he said "Ask me in the morning.")"
 
My friend Royce concluded, "For as long as you want it" to which my jeweler friend Bill who believes diamonds are forever, replied, "No one knows. We're waiting to find the answer. Claxton has fruitcake with serial #1 still on the shelf." 

My college roomie John replied, "My question is, does anyone know someone who eats fruitcake?  I believe only one has ever been made.  It is re-gifted each year, since no one ever eats it." My engineering friend Steve concurred, "I've heard there is really only one fruit cake in the world that keeps making the rounds, so I guess no one really knows yet."

My Parrothead friend Samantha,  responded, "Fruitcakes are like the Energizer bunny, they keep going and going and going..."  My writing and sailing friend Rich quoted "the words of Rod Temperton and Heatwave 'Always and Forever'," to which my social media friend Mark shared, "No one knows yet...it is like nuclear waste."

My friend Randy was a little more positive, writing, "I have had this in my fridge for over a year. I got it from someone when Jill passed; they had a sense of humor like my little wife. I plan to keep it or rotate it among friends. I will need to find a way to tag it and track dates and times for future archeologists. I do know one certain fact. Honey Bee honey will last for thousands of years.  This Fruit Cake was best to sell by 4/13/13 but I'm sure that was only a suggestion. I dare say they are good for 10,000 years and when petrified could build another Stonehenge.

My project mgmt friend KJ shared, "I’m told they last forever. I’ve tried them once or twice and have never understood why anyone would want a fruitcake to last forever. I’m sure there must be a good tasting fruitcake out there somewhere, perhaps, it’s in Claxton, GA. I’ve heard about them, but never tried theirs."

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

Is there enough daylight in your life?                     .
Winter Solstice is Saturday, which means only 9h 54m 31s of daylight in Atlanta
                                                                                                                 .

Live well...laugh often and heartily.... have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal

I invited www.claxtonfruitcake.com to respond and even offer a coupon; they chose to pass on the opportunity.  Until they do, here's Jimmy Buffett video Fruitcake:  http://youtu.be/wneCa_yIuzg

Great stats for Winter Solstice throughout the US at  http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/december-solstice.html

 Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration.

No comments: