Monday, July 20

Is ice cream cake really cake?



In response to last week’s question, "Is ice cream cake really cake?," my dessert-living desert-loving Utah friend Bruce recalled, "Someone brought one home, but it's gone - so I can't tell."

When my equestrian friend Royce declared, "Who cares?," my birthday bud Jon replied, "No.  But who cares?  It is still an effective ice cream delivery system."  And my jeweler friend Bill added, "Cake or not, anything is a good reason to have your favorite ice cream."  And my dad's beach buddy Bob added, "Only if you don't know the difference."

My Indian-food friend Andrew first had to respond to last week's What the Hell comment from Andy, "Whether I am on the "Highway to Hell" or "Stairway to Heaven", I agree with Sammy Hagar and "I can't drive 55!" (this is relevant as my 55th birthday is coming up soon)."  Andrew then added, "Of course ice cream cake is not "cake". It is ice cream designed and shaped to LOOK like cake. Real cake has batter, and is baked in an oven. There is no batter in ice cream "cake", and baking it in an oven is pretty ugly (and messy)."   My temple friend Richard continued Andrew's line of thinking, "Sort of. It’s really ice cream and cake together, but the problem is that, in order to keep the ice cream from melting, it must be kept in a freezer, which means the cake is very hard. Perhaps it should be called 'ice cream on a brick.' "

My Parrothead friend Sam called out, "Ice cream cake is cold, it's melty anti-cake.   Where cake is crumbly, ice cream cake is sticky.  Obviously I have a slight preference :)  "

My temple friend Lon shared, "Don't ask me how my warped mind came up with this one: That's like asking if Bruce Jenner/Caitlyn is a boy or a girl, and the answer is "Yes."  It is both a cake and ice cream. (I used to work for Baskin Robins in High school and made about a million of these.)"

And my marketing friend Mark  queried, "Is ice cream really cream? Is it really ice? Should your question say 'really' or 'actually'? Yikes...I'm going to go have some pie."

Please share your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

How many smidgens are in a scooch?  (from my Habitat for Humanity measure-twice, cut -one friend Matt)

Live well...laugh often and heartily.... have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal

Happy Birthday to my wife and best friend, Alison this Sunday. 

My ISP Channel colleague Jim shared this outstanding version of Stairway to Heaven that he said "always brings a smile. I have watched it numerous times and it is still my favorite musical video."  Whether you like Led Zeppelin, Heart or simply good music, it's worth the 6 minutes.

Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.  Stop by www.nichelabs.com to see what else I'm up to.


     










No comments: