Monday, October 19

When do you use 'bye bye' instead of 'bye'?



In response to last week’s question, "When do you use 'bye bye' instead of 'bye'?,"  my writing and sailing friend Rich suggested, "After the third time you have said bye and you are still standing on your mother-in-law's porch."    

My videographer friend Ivan more kindly offered, "When there's a sale on salutations."   My PR friend Stan recalled, "When I have twice as much time."  And my IT friend Alan shared a scary thought, "When I play flight attendant! But then again that’s really 'Bah bye'!" 

My comedic friend Bruce wrote, "'Bye bye' is used at the end of phone calls.  My mom always, and I do mean always, ends every phone conversation with, 'Mm-hmm, bye, bye.'"  However, my dad's beach buddy Bob uses bye bye "when you really don't want to see them again."

My rock musician friend Bruce quipped, "When you are singing lyrics from a 60's musical staring Ann Margaret" to which my Millennial cousin Greg replied, "Then you are talking to birds........ insert rimshot here  :)  " 

And my Agile Project Management friend Andrew attempted to properly define the requirements.  "Bye bye" is used as follows:
1. Saying goodbye to children (accompanied by small wave)
2. When trying to get rid of annoying people, either in person or on the phone
3. When leaving an airplane (think David Spade on SNL)
4. When saying "bye" permanently (e.g., to a debt, a spam email, etc.)
Adding the second "bye" is an intensifier, a nicer way of emphasizing the concept than yelling (e.g., "BYE!")   And please don't say "bye bye" to me on this list since I look forward to it every Monday morning ("hello, week!")

My equestrian friend Royce avoided the situation by responding, "Being multi-cultural, I usually say 'adios.'"

Please share your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

What is it not really necessary to add pumpkin to?

Live. Love. Learn. Laugh .. Lighten up!  
Hal


My pulmonologist friend Steve is clearly working too hard as he just responded to the earlier question, "If Apple made a car, would it have windows?" by responding "Unlikely, as it would have a virtual hard drive to navigate in The Cloud."

Congratulations to our friend Sue for her URJ recognition yesterday proving that Sue is much more than an IT brain and quilter.

If you are in or near Cobb County on Thu, Nov 19, plan to attend this inspiring and humorous event!

Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.  Stop NicheLabs to see what else I'm up to.

No comments: