Monday, June 13

Why do people have eyebrows?

In response to last week’s question, "Why do people have eyebrows?," my dad's beach buddy Bob concluded, "it's to shade their eyes from indecent exposure" while my equestrian friend Royce believes it's "to, in theory, keep water out of your eyes and accent facial expressions."

My leadership development advisor Stuart quipped, "Easy. It helps them brows web pages."

My cycling friend Ted admitted, "I don't know, but they sure come in handy when I look at my wife and give her one of my lecherous Groucho 'eyebrow bobs.'  Good things then happen!"

My ethics friend Blair presented a better question, "Why do women paint eyebrows on when they are missing or thin? Oh, wait - it's to enhance our beauty!! Nothing functional about it. It's so embarrassing. Sigh. "

My cousin Greg was curious, "I think the bigger question is, 'why do some people NOT have eyebrows?' to which my college roommate John, who my wife describes as a good catch for someone near Annapolis, wrote, "I don't have eyebrows.  Who needs them?"

Please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:
What’s after A-OK?  (from Demetri Martin)

We don't stop laughing because we get old. We get old because we stop laughing.  Make it a priority to have fun and make others laugh.
Hal

My temple friend Richard shared a favorite classic Muhammad Ali interchange with a flight attendant on a commercial airline:
FLIGHT ATTENDANT:  Please buckle your seat belt, Mr. Ali.
MUHAMMAD ALI:  Superman doesn’t need no seatbelt!
FLIGHT ATTENDANT:  Superman doesn’t need no airplane, either. Now buckle up!

Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of those killed or impacted by the tragic shootings in Orlando.  Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer said "Tonight our community witnessed a horrific crime... that will have a lasting effect on our community," a solemn Dyer said. "We will not be defined by a hateful shooter. We will be defined by how we love each other.”  May we have the civility and fortitude to respect and treasure our fellow human beings.


Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.  Stop by NicheLabs to see what else I'm up to.

No comments: