Monday, June 19

How do you elevate a grunt?

In response to last week’s question, "How do you elevate a grunt?," my writing and sailing friend Rich suggested, "Turn it into a squeal" while my dad's beach buddy Bob wrote, "You elevate it with a sigh of relief."  To this, my sister Lorrie countered, "You can elevate a grunt to an aahh with a timely sitting on the toilet." And my cycling friend Ted determined, "A grunt is elevated to a 'Hmmmm!' "

My social media friend Mark pointed out, "Join the ladies tennis tour. Or call yourself Rafael" to which my PR friend Stan added, "By winning a major tennis tournament. Of course, with the French Open only being shown on Tennis Channel, very few people got to hear the winning grunts, so this became an  ineffective way to elevate a grunt.  Or the other hand, raising the minimum wage can elevate another kind of grunt. There are so many grunts that it makes me snort."

My temple friend Richard declared, "Grunt louder or grunt in an elevator.  In the military, you elevate a grunt by promoting him / her to sergeant" to which my birthday bud Jon concurred, "Make him an officer."   My neighbor
Al then pointed out, "Usually by giving them high Pro / Con scores or they request an MOS change.  (Only Marines will understand.)"

My adjunct executive friend Lindy noted, "If the grunt is coming from an animal, then put the pig or whatever on a pedestal. That would elevate it.  If the grunt is from a person, why would you want to elevate it?  Better to ignore it." 

My equestrian friend Royce determined, "By the decibel and acoustical level" to which my cousin Valarie agreed, "Just make it LOUDER! Stand on a higher platform? Send him to the boss upstairs."

And my sailing friend Norm explained, " A grunt is a fish closely related to the blue striped grunt(Haemulon sciurus) and the French grunt (Haemulon flavolineatum). The familiar "grunt" that this fish makes is caused by its pharyngeal teeth grinding in the back of its throat.  So you elevate a grunt by catching it on a fishing line and pulling it up."

Then please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

            What would you do with extra daylight? (Wed is the longest day of the year.)

We don't stop laughing because we get old. We get old because we stop laughing.  Make it a priority to have fun and make others laugh.

Hal

My sailing friend Glenn shared a response to the prior week's question,  "Should you take on a leadership role if you can't be a dictator?," explaining "Dictatorships frequently do not end well:  Julius Caesar stabbed in the Forum also in the chest, back, nuts, etc.  Benito Mussolini shot and hanged,  Hitler suicide in the bunker.  Napoleon exiled.  Lenin probably poisoned.   Yet there are exceptions: Fidel Castro, Francisco Franco, Mao to name just three.  However, almost all these rulers cost untold amounts of suffering and death.  Not a good trade off."  

Summer fun:  In Atlanta, there will be 14hr, 24min of daylight (from 6:27am to 8:51pm).  Civil twilight will last until 9:19pm and Nautical Twilight until 9:55pm, which is still little compared to Fairbanks, AK, where the sun will rise at 2:58am and set just after midnight at 12:47am (21hr, 49min), after which is civil twilight until the sunrises again at 2:58am.  Bring on the Vitamin D!


Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.   I invite you to call or email me to catch up.

No comments: