Monday, June 4

Is normal overrated?


In response to last week’s imponderable question, “Is normal overrated?,” my dad’s beach buddy Bob advised, “Normal is all in the eyes of the beholders.....good, bad and terribly evil.”

My adjunct executive friend Lindy called out, “Normal is not overrated but may be underappreciated.  Wait . . . that’s ‘unique.’  Unique is underappreciated.   Normal is normal.”  To this, my collaboration friend Tricia observed, “What is ‘normal?’  Who is normal? Am I normal or are you normal, because we can't both be normal?  Lol!”

My production manager friend Ray concluded, “First, define normal? In the words of one of the world's greatest philosophers, ‘Normal is as normal does.’ This includes the entire Normal family: I.M., U.R., Yaint, and not least, Damn your eyes! Too late.”

My social media friend Mark replied, “I am normal and not overrated. I don’t know any other people that I would consider normal, so opinion should stop there.”

When my equestrian friend Royce yelled back, “Oh hell yes!”, my sailing friend Norm expounded, “Yes, it is overrated.  You see normal is average.  This is a math concept.  Average means some is more than normal and some is less than normal.  Nothing is ever really average.  I always wonder why people think the amount of rain we are supposed to get each year is the ‘average’ or ‘normal’ amount.  When in fact some years we get less and some more than the average and that is what is ‘normal’.” 

Please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

When is something ‘used up’ instead of ‘run out of’?
 
Live well...laugh often and heartily.... have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal
              
Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.   I invite you to call or email me to catch up.

No comments: