Monday, October 22

What is old?


In response to last week’s imponderable question, “What is old?,” my engineering friend Steve wrote precisely, “It’s all relative!” to which my business development friend Ray added, “What we in the U.S. consider old would be ‘new’ in other parts of the world. People 65 years old were considered old. Such is not the case today.”

My telecom friend Gus shared, “Old can be classic, time-honored, experienced, seasoned, enduring, ageless, long lasting. On the other hand, old can be ancient, antiquated, archaic, dated, decrepit, fossilized, kaput. It all depends on your perspective, state of mind and / or state of health.   In my case I’m not getting old, I’m getting better (and apparently more arrogant).”

My cycling friend Ted replied, “The oldest thing in the universe is the Universe, but according to my kids, it's me,” to which my equestrian friend Royce countered, “G-d.”

And my dad’s beach buddy Bob lamented, “Old is everything that happened through yesterday...most of which is worth forgetting.”

Please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

Does a colon slow you down?

Life is too short for drama and petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly, and forgive quickly.

Hal

There were 2 replies to the prior week’s question.  My health coaching friend Beth noted that the “definition of bingeing is an act of excessive or compulsive consumption (as of food); went on an eating binge; binge drinking.  It’s pretty common.  As a Health Coach, I see it more often than others,” to which my sailing friend Glenn replied,”I guess I missed this one because I was blacked out.”

This Wed is World Polio Day and a day to be proud to be a Rotarian.  Only 19 cases of WPV have been documented throughout the world in 2018; these were in Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.   I invite you to call or email me to catch up.

No comments: