Monday, November 12

Who pays the check?


In response to last week’s imponderable question, “Who pays the check?,” my dad’s beach buddy Bob called out, “Last person left sitting at the table” while my social media friend Mark felt, “The best person at the table. At least you should thank her accordingly.” 

My writing and sailing friend Rich observed, “Someone, always, it is an immutable law of physics, ‘There is no such thing as a free lunch.’  Any time you hear a proposal , your first question needs to be who or what is picking up the check……….”

My musical friend Jonathan wrote, “I think we all pay the check.  If there is something due, then everyone has to put something in to get something out. Some will pay with legal tender, others will pay with promises, some will pay with goodwill. Those who don’t pay don’t understand the value proposition if any balance due from anyone for anything. Dig? 😉“ to which my business development friend Ray agreed, “We all pay the check! There is no such thing as a free lunch!”

My equestrian friend Royce explained, “according to who has the expense account and/or needs a tax deduction for ‘business purposes’."

My collaboration and sailing friend Andy pointed out, “When the government spends, we all pay the check, but sometimes it’s worth it. Use your annual opportunity to give a bit of democratic feedback in the voting booth” to which my sailing friend Nom expounded, “If you're a Democrat, the government pays the check.  If you're a Republican, you pay the check. If you are real, you know our children will end up paying the check.”

Please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

Can you be over-saturated?

Life Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably And never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal

From last week’s “what is a pump kin to?”,  my temple friend Lesley noted, “the pump is a descendant of the bellows” and my equestrian friend Royce observed, “gas, which can be caused by a ‘pumpkin’ and or a necessary item for transportation.”

My Earthlink friend Bill shared, “I totally agree with Ray’s comments regarding the tragic events in Pittsburgh, and voted this past week to hopefully change the situation in our country.”  My college roomie John added, “I hope that we start a movement to a better place.  Our (American) history has been full of violence.  Let's hope we can do a better job for our children.  My concern is that the Greatest Generation did their part, but our generation has not done our part.  We still have time.”

As proof of this positive motion, I’m helping plan the 14th annual Thanksgiving Ecumenical Celebration this Thu, Nov 15 at 7p.  Click here for details because this is an annual display of respectful conversation and reflection.  Join us in person (carpool and arrive early) or watch streaming live online.

Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.   I invite you to call or email me to catch up.

No comments: