Tuesday, November 27

What are you thankful for about people who are different than you?


In response to last week’s imponderable question, “What are you thankful for about people who are different than you?,” my writing and sailing friend Rich pointed out, “Because it does in fact take a village and that includes the village idiot to blaze the ‘don’t go that way path.’ To the rest of the village I can only say ‘you’re welcome’.”

My wife Alison replied, “Thankful for their sharing!” to which my equestrian friend Royce added, “Diversity makes us all better persons.”  My college roomie John then explained, “Differences introduce us to new experiences, adds diversity, yet we still find out that in many ways we are the same and we do have many things to be grateful for.”

My production manager friend Ray pontificated, “Each person is unique, thus different from anyone else. And yet, each person being unique means that we all are the same, that is, we are all unique. It is being samely unique that allows us to be individuals, but at the same time to be a family known as mankind. And for that I am truly thankful. As we said so many centuries ago, the first moment of dawn is when you can look into the eyes of another human being and see yourself.   As to the glass being half-full or half-empty, I don't look at it either way. I just know that it's refillable.  Namaste my friend and what a unique person you are.”

My dad’s beach buddy Bob explained, “Much depends on where the differences are.  Appearance makes it challenging and interesting.  Philosophically and politically depends on the perceived solution to life's problems.”

One of our Ecumenical Thanksgiving speakers Tom shared, “My grandfather told me, ‘If everyone was the same, they’d all be in love with your grandmother.’”

My sailing friend Glenn lamented, “Missed this one.  From the discussion on bingeing, I blacked out again.”

Please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

With Thanksgiving a recent memory, are there left-unders or right-overs?

Lord, give me a sense of humor; give me the ability to understand a clean joke; to get some humor out of life, and to pass it on to other folks. 

Hal

My insightful friend Dr. Dwana shared a reply to “who pays?’, “NOT the one who starts their order with ‘We’ll have separate checks!’” 

Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.   I invite you to call or email me to catch up.

No comments: