Monday, April 7

How come you never hear father-in-law jokes?

In response to last week's question, "How come you never hear father-in-law jokes?", my running buddy Tony concluded, "You don't make jokes about the one that was holding the shotgun at the wedding ." My friend Gian expanded on this by writing, "You never joke about a man who wants to kill you. "

My birthday bud Jon took a dangerous tack, answering "Because mother-in-law jokes are so damn easy! "My dad's beach buddy Bob wrote, "You never make fun of a good egg. " My friend Kevin added, "Just how funny is an old guy drinking a beer and watching sports in a recliner? "

My sailing friend Maria wrote what many men were reluctant to say, "Because fathers-in-law never have a chance to say anything worth joking about, their wives are always doing the talking." My friend Royce described them as "the original silent majority."

To this last point, my friend Richard shared "the famous story about the boy who proudly reports to his mother that he has been cast in the school play. She asks what part he was given. "The father-in-law," he proudly replies. She tells him to go back the next day and demand a speaking role instead." (more from Richard at the end of the email)


Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmmm' " :

Why do pajama bottoms have pockets?
What do you put in them when going to bed? (from my neighbor Dick)

Live well......laugh often....have a good week.

Hal

More from Richard:
Q: Why don't sharks eat mothers-in-law?

A: Professional courtesy.
Q: What is the difference between a Jewish mother and a Doberman?

A: Eventually the dog lets go.

No comments: