Monday, October 20

Why do we sit in the stands?

In response to last week's question, “For football fans, why do we sit in the stands? ”, my sagely friend Stuart know that it’s the standard policy. My birthday bud Jon recalled that “when at Michigan, we were always in the End Zone. It made sitting appropriate.”

My friend Kevin told his son Elliott, “because I’m lazy” (actually, it’s more smart than lazy).

My sailing buddy Scott said, “Because no one could figure out how to stand in the sits.” My temple buddy Bill noticed that “if you have ever been in the student section at a UGA game, you stand the entire time - - you do stand in the stands.” My Melges sailing buddy Tony clarified this point, saying “If you stand in stands the guys behind you cannot see. Therefore we must all sit in the stands or all stand in the stands or else run the risk of being considered rude. And to be clear, the English fans stand in stands when they get excited and all sit down after……much more disciplined.”

My U Wi Badger buddy Marya wrote, “In Badger Country, the stands are for the 5th Quarter! Oh yea, roll out the barrel, we'll have a barrel of fun!” Meanwhile, my brother-in-law Jay took a hurtful shot writing, “Well, if you're a Syracuse "football" fan, you don't sit or stand in the stands. You lie on the ground and cry. Now, if you're a Carolina fan, you don't sit in the stands either; rather you stand the entire game and cheer for the No. 18, 5-1 Tar Heels...”

And my dog rescue friend Kate, anticipating getting older, wrote, “I sit anywhere if I think I’ll be able to stand up again.”


Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":


If it’s not fun doing, then…..then what? (from my colleague Bill)

Live well…..laugh often….be happy…have a good week….

No comments: