Sunday, August 16

Does life have inertia?

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ":

What is the Roman Numeral for zero? from my neighbor Al

In response to last week’s questions, “Does life have inertia?”, my sailing friend Kate wrote assuredly, “Yes, life has inertia. Anyone doubting this need only witness how many times I need to swat the sleep button on my alarm clock in the morning!
My friend Tracey agreed that life has inertia, writing “It's what causes most midlife crises.”

My dad’s beach buddy Bob was not so sure as he responded, “For a limited period of time then it peters out like many other things that cannot be eternally sustained.” My cousin Wes responded, “Certainly. The older we get the more inertia our lives have. That's way "time flies" and everyone I know is amazed it's August 2010 already.”

“This leads to deep thought” observed my college roomie John. “Living requires inertia, one cannot just sit there and expect life to happen, you have to get up and do something about it. Wow, this is much too deep, I need to lie down.”

My flying friend Ted wrote, “Ask any physicist, he will tell you inertia is the tendency of all matter to resist changes to its state of kinetic energy. Ask any old married physicist, he will tell you that his energy state tends to resist changes --- always low! Ask David Lee Roth after watching his MTV videos; that man has Inertia. He never stops moving!!” My wife tells me I have too much inertia if I stay in the bathroom too long. Just can't get moving. Oops TMI. Work seems to have too much inertia these day; it never ceases. I may have too much inertia if I don't quit writing this.”

“Life does not have inertia because inertia does not exist,” challenged my sailing friend Vaughn. “All life is made of atoms that are made of electrons that are in constant motion. Humans conceived of inertia to give our minds a rest, otherwise we would be dizzy all the time. Hmmm, maybe that's what is wrong with me, I am dizzy.”
My sailing and writing friend Rich concluded, “All lives hurtling down life's highway have inertia. Never forget that it takes an outside force to overcome inertia. Unlike physics, there is no calculating what your force will do to change the inertia of another's life. Use it wisely.” (Also see my friend Swany’s response below.)
Live well...laugh often..be happy and have a good week…

Hal

Seriously folks. “This is another way of asking is life’s path predetermined, or do we believe in fate?” wrote my analytical colleague Swany. The obstacles we encounter and decisions we make cause our path to change throughout our life but we are constantly moving in some direction. We can only hope that when we do land in a negative situation, we make another decision which corrects our path and sets the course back to a positive conclusion. Absolutely life has inertia, and, our human decisions affect our spiritual fate.”

No comments: