Monday, March 8

It's Monday. Why is next Friday not this Friday?

In response to last week’s question, “It's Monday. Why is next Friday not this Friday?”, my running buddy Tony wrote simply “Then it wouldn't be this Friday.”

My dad’s beach buddy Bob noted, “We tend to let bygones be bygones.”

My neighbor Bob observed, “You’re talking about Friday week or Friday this week? The southern approach to projecting the next weekday after this week has always confused me. Is it the same coming from the northeast?” My college roomie John, also from the northeast wrote, “This Friday goes with This Week and Next Friday goes with Next Week.”

My birthday bud Jon retorted, “Better yet, why can’t tomorrow be Friday?”

My brother-in-law Jay, who is a newspaper editor, shared the style guide of his newspaper, the St. Petersburg Times, which avoids the confusion by declaring “Avoid such redundancies as “last Tuesday” or “next Tuesday.” The past, present or future tense of the verb usually provides adequate indication of which Tuesday is meant: He said he finished the job Tuesday. She will return Tuesday. This same thinking applies to redundancies such as "last October" and "next October."”

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ”:

Seeing as how Alaska is substantially bigger than Texas, why is something large called "Texas Sized?" from my friend Tracey

Live well...laugh often and heartily….be happy, have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal

If this weekend was any indication, then sailing season is back. My your landfalls equal your departures.

No comments: