Monday, May 17

When people say 'Excuse my French', what word are they excusing?

In response to last week’s question," When people say 'Excuse my French', what word are they excusing?", my writing and sailing buddy Rich quickly responded, "Stupid American - What an ignorant question - Sorry, had a French moment there." My dad's beach buddy Bob explained it is when, "they are clumsy and incompetent in their ability to proceed."

While my birthday bud Jon could only write, " Je ne sais pas ," my friend Richard suggested, "Presumably any word that leaves someone tongue-tied. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)" My friend Royce noted, "Most of the time it's due to the fact the speaker can't speak English or French."

My friend Chris proposed, "Well the French are dirty, so it goes without saying that it's probably a dirty word." My cable TV friend Cheryl expounded, " A dirty word that would have gotten soap in my mouth as a child." My cousin Wes provided more detail, "it includes but is not limited to S*%&, F@#*^$#, F@#^, D@##, M)(*&^ #$&*%$, S%^ of a @%$!, etc. I am using Beetle Bailey spelling so as to avoid the need to apologize for my French. "

My dad, known for not resorting to using foul language, responded "If I told you, I would have to follow it with "excuse my French" and then it would go on and on. "

My comedic friend Bruce wrote, "In America, “Excuse my French” excuses a curse word. In France, “Excuse my English” excuses a friendly word."

Leave it to my organizational behavior friend Marya to explain, "I say 'excuse my French' when I'm about to plant a big ole' kiss on someone; it's less of a surprise!" Along that line of thinking, my former colleague Swany responded, "I thought it was spoken just before a surprise tongue attack when affectionately greeting a friend. If you get slapped, consider it your “Waterloo.”

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ”:

How exactly do you lend an ear to someone? from my fundraising friend Sherri

Live well...laugh often and heartily….be happy, have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!

No comments: