Monday, September 20

How many texts do you need to send to make a textbook?

For comedy and humor in the vein of Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin, here are responses to last week’s question, "How many texts do you need to send to make a textbook?", my cousin Valarie shared her daughter Adare's response (Adare is my first cousin once removed), " 'only one, if you bind it--the word isn't textsbook.' She's bound to be right!" My dad's beach buddy Bob concurred, "Only one is needed to cover it all." Then my sailing friend Maria reach the same conclusion from a different angle when she wrote, " Windows Office has a program called OneNote that allows you to make notebooks…. if we use MS as a benchmark for all tech things… then one is enough…"

My CTAM friend Patrick observed "I’m not sure, but judging by my cell phone bill, I’m pretty sure my wife has written a few." My friend Tracey defined it as "More than a grandmother's and fewer than a teenager's." My cycling friend Ted noted, "Considering the average book is about 175 pages, most teenagers could send a textbook in about 1 math class."

While my friend Royce responded, "I'll text you about this tomorrow" and I'm still waiting, my friend Chris observed, "I would speculate that a textbook is for learning while texting is a form of conversation. I can't imagine using forms of conversation as a learning tool unless it is to show psychological analysis of behavior in society." My college roomie John added, "If done, the textbook would have many grammatical and spelling errors. Plus, how many shortcuts and made up words would it contain?"

And my friend Richard had the final word when he wrote, "Absolutely none. A textbook implies literacy. Texting typically is as far removed from literacy as a 1963 Volkswagen Beetle is from the Indianapolis 500."

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ”:

      Why is right right?  
        (From my strategy session with my sailing friends Haim, John, David and Maria)

Live well...laugh often and heartily…. have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!
Hal

PS: Congrats to Skipper Matt and new Admiral Julia, who, in style, just eloped on a beach in Bermuda.

No comments: