Monday, January 24

After the roads are cleared of snow, where does the salt and sand go?

A ponderable with the humor in the vein of George Carlin, Steven Wright and Demetri Martin, in response to last week’s question, “After the roads are cleared of snow, where does the salt and sand go?”, my dad’s beach buddy Bob wrote, “It’s returned from whence it came...mother earth, though slightly relocated.” To this, my neighbor Al add clarified, “Silly! It's called the water shed. The salt and sand are washed into the storm drains. This eventually works it way down to the oceans. You don't really think that the oceans are naturally salty do you? Or that the sand on the beach came from wave action? Most of it comes from Buffalo!”

My Parrothead friend Sam corrected part of the prior answers, writing, “I think that the salt and sand (if it had even been brought near our neighborhood!) disappears down below in preparation for being recycled into a beach and the perfect margarita glass rim... can you tell that I am ready for warm weather??

My cycling friend Ted responded, “This one's easy having lived in Buffalo NY for 10 years. It all sticks to your car body and wheel wells, which has the curious effect of turning your car in to Swiss Cheese!! Just go to Buffalo and see for yourself!!” My college roomie John agreed, “It sticks to the car. Some of it falls off in the garage, when the snow melts. Otherwise, we wait for a 32+ degree day and go to the car wash so we can see out of the windows. Send some temps up here to melt our snow.

My friends Richard and Tracey added, “As best I can tell, the salt and sand mostly go into the finish on your vehicle.” My friend Kurt agreed with Richard concluding that it ends up at “Car wash!” My friend Addie saw this slightly differently, “It goes into all the grooves/treads of my tires, of course! I'll be spitting them out behind me as I peel off at a light for a long, long time to come!”

My cousin Wes suggested, “It goes to motivating your new car purchase as your car turns into a rust bucket.”

My friend Royce determined “it goes on vacation,” which may explain why my writing and sailing friend Rich provided possibly the definitive answer, “after being washed in to the storm drains, it goes to sand and salt heaven, otherwise known as the Caribbean.(*)”

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' ”:

      Does gravity push or pull you?

Live well...laugh often and heartily…. have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!

No comments: