Monday, July 18

Why is verb a noun (and not a verb)

A ponderable with the humor in the vein of George Carlin, Steven Wright and Demetri Martin. 

In response to last week’s question, “Why is verb a noun (and not a verb)?”, my witty friend Bruce complacently said, “Because my coworkers tell me so.” One of his co-workers, Pat, added, “As my middle school grammar teacher would scold me, “a noun is a person, place, thing, or idea.” “Verb” is a category of grammar; therefore, it’s considered a noun. It would be funny to hear someone try to use “verb” as an action word, as is done with so much of today’s business lingo. Then that begs the question if “verb” were a verb, would it be transitive or intransitive?”

My friend Royce agreed, “because it’s an action object” to which my friend Vivian then pondered, “but your question is a great one for those who are grammatically challenged!”

My dad’s beach buddy Bob’s investigation from “looking in my World Book Dictionary, I could not find the answer to that one. It made me reverberate.”

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

Can you get home fries when you dine out? from my friend ted

Live well...laugh often and heartily…. have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!

No comments: