Monday, August 1

If a word is misspelled in the dictionary, how would we ever know? And with texting, does anyone care?


A ponderable with the humor in the vein of George Carlin, Steven Wright and Demetri Martin.

In response to last week’s question, “If a word is misspelled in the dictionary, how would we ever know? And with texting, does anyone care?”, my dad’s beach buddy Bob daringly admitted, “I trust my word spell check to make the correct decision.” My neighbor Stan added, “But wait, spell check uses the dictionary. Oh darn. Guess we will just hav 2 run round ignurt.”

My parrothead friend, who is a high school teacher turned college instructor wrote, “U kneed to half pride in Ur text n spelng. I think I am learning bad habits from my students.” My surfing friend Ted challenged, “We'd know because there are still those annoying English teachers who would argue they know better.”

My cousin Wes then provide his analysis, “Me: "Teacher, how do you spell [insert word]?" Teacher: "Look it up in the dictionary." Therefore if the [insert word] is in dictionary, it is spelled correct. To paraphrase Tom Hank's character in "A League of Their Own," there is no misspelling in the dictionary. Only in spellcheck.”

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

       Is red tape stronger than duct tape?

Live well...laugh often and heartily…. have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal

Observation about our congressional leaders: The less decisions they make, the less they can be accused of doing wrong. So much for bold leadership.

No comments: