Monday, February 27

How come you never hear father-in-law jokes?


In response to last week’s question,  “How come you never hear father-in-law jokes?”, my colleague Louis reflected, “Because the father-in law has a .45 and isn’t afraid to go BACK to prison…..as he stated the first time he met you.”  My friend Richard agreed, and expounded, “Fathers-in-law far more likely own deadly weapons.  To wit: “Son, there’s three things you need to remember at all times: (1) That little girl you married is the most precious thing in the world to me; (2) I ain’t afraid to go back to prison; and (3) At this range, I can’t miss.”

My dad’s beach buddy Bob observed, “There are too many divorced couples with no bragging rights left to compliment us.”  My writing and sailing friend Rich surmised, “Because after being married to the mother in law for more years than he count, he deserves our compassion, not our derision.”

My birthday bud Jon noted, “Their wives don't want to share the spotlight.”  To this, my sailing friend Kurt added, “Because men usually are wise enough to accept the choice of their progeny quietly; mothers are used to making their opinions public.”

My college roomie John then advised, “Dads want their children to move out and be on their own.  They assume their son or daughter will call them if they need anything.  Later, the son or daughter has to be reminded that dad has children living at other addresses.”

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

If you are born on Feb 29, when do you celebrate your birthday each year?

 Live well...laugh often and heartily…. have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!
Hal

To those that celebrate the quadrennial celebration, happy birthday (Wed).

No comments: