Monday, November 26

Are turkeys proof that Southerners can fry anything?



In response to last week’s question,  “Are turkeys proof that Southerners can fry anything?”,  my friend Kevin challenged, “No, pickles are that proof” to which my friend Swany added, “I think a better case can be made for deep fried pickles and deep fried steak.  Who would think to batter and fry steak?  Man, I miss the Fruit Jar (restaurant)!”

My melodic friend Ira suggested, “I think those honors go to fried Twinkies, and, more recently, fried butter.”  My engineering friend Steve continued, “I thought that was already covered by Oreos, Twinkles, and mac & cheese. I thought I saw Paula Dean deep fry fat one time!”

My collaboration colleague Kim shared, “I think Deep Fried Butter at the fair proves it or, Bacon Wrapped Dates fried at a local restaurant. However, on a recent trip to Seaside, Oregon, my husband encountered a Deep Fried Bacon Wrapped Twinkie on a Corndog stick covered in Chocolate Sauce, Maple Syrup and dusted in Powdered Sugar. I had a bite. It tasted unexpectedly good. West coast wins!”

My friend Kosol showed his Southern pride, writing, “If you can eat it, we can fry it! We make the best fried anything hands down. And yes frying a turkey is absolute proof!”

My neighbor Al explained, “Turkeys are proof that we'll kill and eat anything no matter how ugly(*).  Butter is proof that we'll fry anything.

Then my Dish friend Kendra clarified things, “Turkeys are proof that Southerners can fry anything.  Oreos, Twinkies, bacon, and sticks of butter are proof that Southerners will fry anything.  Where there’s a will, you can find a way!”  And my cousin Dave supported that when he shared, “We will pretty much fry anything in Texas if it isn't moving.   http://www.bigtex.com/sft/nav/foodinformation.asp ”   My punny friend Chris replied, “Nope, The proof is in the cooking oil!”

My friend Richard cautioned, “Anything and everything except Wild Turkey bourbon. When they figure out how to fry THAT, I’ll really be impressed!”  My cycling friend Ted declared, “Not only can they fry a Turkey from the supermarket, but they can fry a Wild Turkey (bourbon)!”

My colleague Kelly  challenged, “No – but fried Ice Cream is proof that Mexicans can.”

My birthday bud Jon, a Northerner, mocked, “Including their houses.”  And my UT-based friend John added, “Actually, the exploding turkeys all over Louisiana are proof that they can’t.  Don’t blow up your House, Hal!”
 
My dad’s beach buddy Bob lamented, “Unfortunately we cannot get our hands on them.  They are all in Washington.  We tried to kick them out but the government game wardens wouldn't let us into the preserve.”

My friend from my Storer Cable days Buck shared, “My first job at age 15 was to work on an artificial insemination crew as a “catcher.” I learned three things:  1)Turkeys prove that G-d did make something dumber than dirt,  2) that there is something more disgusting than a pig’s rear end and 3)  there is something more ridiculous than “doggie diapers.”   I’ll be enjoying my Turkey on Thanksgiving like everyone else – while trying to block out all the memories of my first job in Clear Lake, MN at the Morehouse Turkey Hatchery.

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:
When is the ‘top of the hour’ on a digital watch?

Life  is too short for drama and petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly, and forgive  quickly.

Hal

(*) My writing and sailing friend Rich added to Al’s ‘ugly’ comment:  Turkeys are proof that Ben Franklin, while being a father of our country, celebrated author, publisher and scientist, lover of French women during his service in France during the revolution, did not know diddly about marketing.  The Turkey as the National logo?  Ben tell me you where kidding.

Our thoughts are with our friend Lon on the untimely passing of his son.   William shared so much with so many of us and will be sorely missed.  No one should ever know the pain of losing their child.

    

No comments: