Monday, February 25

Should we celebrate more than just 2 of 44 presidents on Presidents' Day?



In response to last week’s question, “Should we celebrate more than just 2 of 44 presidents on Presidents' Day?", my friend Richard observed, "There might be 10 worth celebrating. Do we really want to celebrate Martin Van Buren, William Henry Harrison (the whole 31 days of his presidency), Millard Fillmore, or James Buchanan?"   My engineering friend Steve replied, "Yes, but not all 44!"

My friend Kosol was more discerning, "If we celebrate the birthdays of all the honest and great presidents we're lucky to even have two of them."  And my friend Swany was even more discerning, "I think there's a limit to the reverence that comes with the POTUS position.  Celebrating Washington as our new nation's first president and Lincoln as a historically pivotal president makes sense, however; I cannot 'celebrate' the likes of adulterers, liars and cheats that we have had as our 'leaders' in our modern times."  To this, my dad's beach buddy Bob proposed, "Perhaps 35, the rest we would like to forget for the damage they caused."

My social media friend Mark queried, "Does anyone really celebrate ANY presidents on Presidents' Day? People take the day off, but I don't know anyone who is doing (or did) anything special for or about George Washington or Abraham Lincoln."   To this, my friend Royce suggested, "It is possessive - Presidents' Day - without designating which president. I assume that it was created by Congress in order to take another long weekend junket." 

My cousin Wes shared, "We used to have a holiday for President Washington and one for President Lincoln.  Presidents' Day depreciates these Presidents. While some of the other 42 don't deserve a holiday, I want my two holidays back, even if I don't get both days off."

Then my writing and sailing friend Rich offered another view, "Washington and Lincoln need the holiday, after all they got screwed on the money, ones and fives, with inflation they hardly even matter.  Now Woodrow is a Dead President I would not mind having in my wallet."    * Woodrow Wilson is on the $100,000 bill.

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:
To eat a peanut,  do you shell it or unshell it?  from my friend Ivan

Life  is too short for drama and petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly, and forgive  quickly.

Hal

No comments: