Monday, July 8

What makes a hot dog All-American?



In response to last week’s question, "What makes a hot dog All-American?", my writing and sailing friend Rich provided a historical perspective, "The retched refuse.  Hot dogs are made from the leftovers of the butcher shop.  The U.S is made up of the leftovers from most of the world. Bill Murray said it best in Stripes, '... our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse'."

My friend Richard shared  that "the term “hot dog” has two meanings: 1) A frankfurter, typically heated and served on a long, split roll or bun.  OK, that’s not helpful.  2) A show off; one who performs tasks with additional flourishes in order to garner attention.  BINGO! That’s us all the way!  And that’s why there are so many “reality” shows on television."   My birthday bud Jon added, "just the fact that we changed the name from 'Frankfurter'."

My neighbor Al cautioned, "I'm not sure I want to know.  Some foods you just don't want to know where they come from."  To this, my friend Royce wrote,  "They are made of only the best of America's by-products unless they are Kosher."   And my dad's beach buddy Bob added, "The only place you can find kosher hot dogs is in America."

My cycling friend Ted noted that, "It's the fat, red dye #10 and all that sodium nitrite--and maybe the pigs lips and anuses too!!
Everybody sing--yes I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free (to eat weenies!)!"   My hiking friend Kelly explained, "Because the chemicals and meat by-products used in the production thereof could have only been invented in a laissez faire capitalistic economy such as the one we used to have here?!?!"

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

If the sign says “Fine for Dumping Garbage,” why would the police issue you a ticket for dumping garbage there?

We don't stop laughing because we get old. We get old because we stop laughing.  Make it a priority to have fun and make others laugh.

Hal 


[Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration.]
 

No comments: