Tuesday, September 3

Why do "overlook" and "oversee" mean opposite things?



In response to last week’s question, "Why do "overlook" and "oversee" mean opposite things?", my writing and sailing friend Rich replied, "I am not so sure they do mean the opposite.  We my wife oversees me, she overlooks the wonderfulness that is me."  My birthday bud Jon came to a similar conclusion as he wrote, "They don’t, at least to Congress."

My dad's beach buddy Bob  advised, "Mostly because if you never look you will never see what you may fall over."  And my dog rescue friend Kate reminded us, "Confucius say, 'To look and to see are two very different things'."

BTW:  My Noshfest friend Lon replied to the prior week's question about "Should a business protect its customers from the customer's own stupidity?",  and my friend Chris' response, "We certainly wouldn't have "The Pet Rock"…and "The Big Mouth Billy Bass."  Lon wrote, "Wait a minute on Billy Bass.  I am working with a firm that is importing/selling an Animatronic talking duck, licensed for Duck Dynasty, that says 10 sayings and sings 2 ZZ top songs. I only hope it sells  6 1/2 million pieces like Billy!!!"

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

            Why do pajama bottoms have pockets? (What do you put in the pockets when going to bed?) 

Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal

Friends will meet you for a meal or activity.  Real friends will do that in the rain.  My friends who made Noshfest a success (and my friends who sail and do dog rescue in the rain), your friendship is what makes life complete and you are greatly, greatly appreciated.

[Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration.]

No comments: