Monday, February 3

What are the 4 food groups for the Super Bowl Sunday?



In response to last week’s question, "What are the 4 food groups for the Super Bowl Sunday?", my social business leader friend Andy concluded, "Grass, Mud, Beer, Pizza."

My dad's beach buddy Bob explained, "I thought there were only 2, beer and Brats," to which my writing and sailing friend Rich countered that the two food groups are "The good stuff your wife and cardiologist have agreed you can eat and all of the bad stuff that got you your introduction to the cardiologist in the first place. The Super Bowl is one of the  feast nights where I am granted special dispensation to eat from the 'Yummy but Deadly' food group. In the words of the immortal Freddy Mercury, 'Who wants to live forever?'"

My dog-loving IT friend David recalled, "FYI, the four food groups for college students are, in no particular order, (1) Alcohol (2) Grease (3) Sugar and (4) Caffeine.  I think only 1 and 2 apply to the Super Bowl.  Parrotheads would also be remiss not to point out that the 8th deadly sin is “Pizza!”, another Super Bowl staple."  (Kudos to David for the Jimmy Buffett reference to "Bank of Bad Habit"; is it a coincidence that David works for a bank?)

My friend Royce listed the 4 as, "Beer (protein and vitamins), nachos (grain), brats/hot dogs (meat group), and the veggie groups are represented by onions on your brat or dog. Pretty damn healthy if you ask me."  My neighbor Al defined the 4 as "Beer, nachos, wings, and beer" while my engineering friend Steve actually listed 4 unique items as he replied, "Chips, Chili, Wings, Beer… they're all food groups aren’t they?"  And my friend Richard recognized the important of the beverages, writing, "Spicy chicken wings, pizza, snack foods (chips, pretzels, etc., and possibly tref if you are a really Reform Jew!), and the beverage of your choice (soft drinks, beer, wine, schnapps, etc.)."

My Denver cousin Wes connected key foods to each grouping, "grain = beer; fruit= wine; veggie= vodka/chip/ketchup; meat= hot dogs/brats/roast seahawks; dairy=dip.  Oops that's five."   

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

Why is a head cold not just only in your head?  (from my friend Asif)

We don't stop laughing because we get old. We get old because we stop laughing.  Make it a priority to have fun and make others laugh.

Hal

Thanks to our new friends at groundhog day
http://www.yellowrivergameranch.com/  home of General Beauregard Lee, prognosticator for ATL and the greater southeast US ---- Spring arrives early while Punxsutawney Phil said 6 more weeks for PA.

Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration.




No comments: