Monday, January 27

Are you considered to be volunteering if you are volun-told?



In response to last week’s question, "Are you considered to be volunteering if you are volun-told?,"  my writing and sailing friend Rich and cycling friend Ted concluded, "If you have ever been married, you already know the answer."   My engineering friend Steve added, "Isn’t that like marriage… you volunteer to get volun-told."

My social business friend Andy explained, "Volunteering is a self sacrifice with personal meaning; volun-told is just another job.  I've got enough jobs, thank you."  My dad's beach buddy Bob then pointed out, "That would signal my departure date as I am not receptive to being told anything (except by my wife of course)."  And then my social media friend Mark concurred, "My deflector shield goes up immediately, when someone is volunteering me to do something. I will not do THAT volunteering for sure. In fact, I think THAT voluntwit should automatically be assigned the work."

 My neighbor Al replied, "I guess I'm not cool or hip.  I had to look up what you meant."  My friend Royce answered, "Volun-told is mandatory-ism" and then my friend Richard continued, "According to the Oxford On-line Dictionary, one of the many definitions of the verb “volunteer” is “commit (someone) to a particular undertaking, typically without consulting them.” So the answer is “Yes, you can be ‘volunteered’ and then ‘volun-told.’”  I think the classic example would be Jim Fowler on just about every episode of the old “Mutual of Omaha Wild Kingdom” TV series. I can almost hear host Marlin Perkins saying “While I bait the fish hooks, Jim will wade into the water to see if there are any piranhas in this part of the Amazon!” It’s amazing Jim survived that series. I just learned today that Jim is still alive (81 years old) and was born in Albany, GA."

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

What are the 4 food groups for the Super Bowl Sunday?

Live well...laugh often and heartily.... have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal

Is there any significance that Sunday is Groundhogs Day and Super Bowl Sunday.  Anyone going to visit their regional ground hog on Sunday morning?
     
Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration.




1 comment:

Quirks and Life said...

Beer, finger foods, spicy foods, and any type of chicken wing.