Monday, January 13

Is gravy a beverage?



In response to last week’s question, "Is gravy a beverage?", my writing and sailing friend Rich explained, "Based on my southern heritage and the fact that I personally saw people I was related to drink a lumpy concoction of butter milk and cornbread and go yummy afterward I would say it is possible. My dad would probably would have said that "gravy is for sopping up, not slurping down."

My dad's beach buddy Bob advised, "I know a train when I see one and this gravy train will only add  another 5 lbs. on my already too round body."  And my friend Royce replied, "If you are a dog."

When my birthday bud Jon questioned, "After how many drinks?", my friend Richard shared, "I have heard it said that when someone is “in the sauce” or “sauced,” it means they are inebriated, as one would be after consuming an alcoholic beverage. Since gravy is defined as “a sauce made from cooked meat juices together with stock and other ingredients,” then gravy=sauce. Since being sauced comes from drinking alcoholic beverages, then logically, gravy=sauce=beverage, so gravy=beverage!"  And in the same line of thinking, my social media friend Mark added, "It does make me wonder if you could swap the water out and use vodka when making your gravy. I like the idea...any volunteers? That might help answer the question definitively.  Otherwise, I have not seen the gravy button on those new Coke machines with 100 million beverages available. So if Coke says no, I have to agree...being from Atlanta."

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

Why is Twitter worth more than Boeing?  from my friend and almost birthday bud Haim

Live well...laugh often and heartily.... have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal

Next Monday (Jan 20) is Martin Luther King Day, a national day of service.  What will you do to help others?

Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration.



No comments: