Monday, January 20

Why is Twitter worth more than Boeing?



In response to last week’s question, "Why is Twitter worth more than Boeing?", my sailing friend Bradley concluded, "Twitter gets you around the world without the TSA (only the NSA), and the crashes don’t get as much bad press."    My pilot (and cycling) friend Ted and my friend Royce explained, "a Boeing crash is a tragedy indeed; while a Twitter crash can only piss you off."

My dad's beach buddy Bob replied, "Twitter may be worth more, but Boeing will be flying long after the Tweets are gone."  And my neighbor Gail noted, "This will be interesting to see, considering I have a small pension coming from Boeing (aka McDonnell Douglas)."

My writing and sailing friend Rich responded, "Beats me; birds fly and birds tweet.  The fact that they fly has always been the more impressive trick to me.  G-d bless a country where you can make a bazillion bucks by convincing people that communicating in 140 characters or less is something you can't live without."  To which my colleague Matt shared, "It's disturbing. If you are following a celebrity, then you are feeding their narcissism. Too many already think they can do no wrong because of 'who they are'."

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

Are you considered to be volunteering if you are volun-told?

Live well...laugh often and heartily.... have a good week and never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal

My start-up friend Marc responded to my social media friend Mark about a recent Hmmm. "To your friend Mark who wishes gravy contained vodka rather than water:  In much of the European world, and particularly in Italy, red tomato sauce such as that served with spaghetti is called “gravy”, not sauce.  Some of these classic tomato gravies contain vodka as Mark desires.  Vodka tomato gravy is now widely marketed on most US supermarket shelves under the label "Spaghetti Sauce with Vodka".  And, so Mark will readily find vodka gravy and can delight in it poured in a glass (i.e., as a beverage) rather than over pasta."

Today, our nation celebrates Martin Luther King Day as a national day of service.  What will you do to help others?

Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration.




No comments: