Monday, April 21

Is there anything else certain in life beyond death and taxes?



In response to last week’s question, " Is there anything else certain in life beyond death and taxes?", my friend Richard declared "There is one other certainty:  On the first evening in several weeks on which you have nothing planned and can just relax and watch TV, there won’t be a single program in which you are interested!"  My colleague Matt shared a different perspective, "Hunger :-)    As someone who loves to eat, and should probably weigh 500 pounds….I can tell you that Hunger is definitely certain."

And my social media friend Mark called out, "The only certain thing I can think of is this very moment. Oops, it's gone. No, it is back again." 

My writing and sailing Rich Jones concluded, "My wife has a list of things about me of which she is absolutely certain" to which my product mgmt friend Doug added, "Yes,  I am certain that my wife will always find new ways to "Save" me money by spending it...." and my neighbor Al continued, "That no matter how small the infraction, nor how much time has passed .... your wife will remember it and throw it back in your face!"   My cycling friend Ted "chipped-in," Yes, you can be certain your wife will give you grief for forgetting a birthday--even if it is her ex in-law's third cousins once removed nephew's dog walker!!  My friend Royce then wrote, "A nagging spouse."

While my musician friend Bruce replied, "Only death is certain… If you don't pay your taxes you can rot in jail and then you'll die…" but my dad's beach buddy Bob countered, "Yes, Birth and everything in between," to which my friend Lesley added, "The discussion of certainty beyond deaths would have to be with Shirley McLaine. Certainly beyond taxes is simply more taxes."

My sailing friend John responded about living in Annapolis, "Crazy weather creating dramatic swings in temperature!" while my dog rescue friend Kate applied a similar observation much more broadly, writing, "Highs and lows."

My cousin Greg called upon the spirit of the holiday, "A nice Passover food coma."  And my financial friend Norm referenced having just paid his taxes on April 15th,"My taxes are certain to be paid.  Tomorrow, death is a probability, but, not, I pray, certain. Someday, death will be certain, and when that happens taxes will no longer have to be paid (unless I win the big Power Ball lotto first, and owe estate taxes after my death.  Winning the lotto is probable but not certain. One can only wish...). "

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:
Why does toilet paper need a commercial? (Who doesn't use it?) from my friend Lon
We don't stop laughing because we get old. We get old because we stop laughing.  Make it a point to have fun and make others laugh.

Hal

    
Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration.






No comments: