Monday, April 7

Is there pure randomness?



In response to last week’s question, "Is there pure randomness?",  my birthday bud Jon observed, "Sometimes.  There’s really no pattern to it."

My friend Tracey replied, "Yes, and it usually comes from one of my children."

My dad's beach buddy Bob queried, "Isn't that what a severe case of ADD is?" to which my IT friend Kosol added, "My wife tells me I have a small case of ADD, so if you're referring to the thoughts in my head, the randomness that goes on in there can't get any purer."

My writing and sailing friend Rich shared, "If the definition of random is 'occurring without definite aim, reason, or pattern' then, yes, my wife has achieved purity in her decision making."

My friend Richard explained, "Among the definitions of 'random' in the Merriam-Webster On-line Dictionary:  “(1) Not mixed with anything else; (2) Clean and not harmful in any way.” So:
If something is “purely random,” it must (1) not be mixed with anything logical, which seems to apply to most laws that come out of Washington, DC.  It (2) cannot cause any harmful effects, which eliminates most of the laws that come out of Washington, DC.  Hence the conundrum. It would seem that pure randomness conceptually can exist, but it certainly does not appear to be a defining characteristic of our nation’s capital. Perhaps “randomly pure” might be possible:  Such as doing something good just for the sake of doing good, with no ulterior motive? Nah."

And my friend Royce responded, "Yes, and her name is, well never mind."

Please share your thoughts about "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “: 

Where's the line between mental discipline and poor judgment?

We don't stop laughing because we get old. We get old because we stop laughing.  Make it a point to have fun and make others laugh.

Hal

My friend Richard shared a follow-up thought to the recent "Do you need to earn a nap?," recalling a great question from George Carlin:  “What do dogs do on their day off? They can’t lie in the sun and sleep all day, because that’s their job. Do they go to an office and send out memos?”

If you're interested in spending a week sailing to the beaches of St Martin, Anguilla and St Bart's from May 24-31 with Alison, me, and a small group of friends, there may be 2 open spaces on the boat, so please let me know so that I can share the details.

Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration.






No comments: