Monday, May 12

Does your conscience hurt when all your other parts feel good?



In response to last week’s question, "Does your conscience hurt when all your other parts feel good",  my engineering friend Steve replied, "I guess that depends on what you did to make all your other parts feel good" to which my writing and sailing friend Rich explained, "I generally find that the better it feels the less my conscience seems to notice."

My IT friend Kosol cautioned, "No, but I'm sure my wallet does."   Then my dad's beach buddy Bob shared, "That is something I will never tell her."

My friend Richard revealed, "There’s no correlation between my conscience and the way I feel. My conscience ALWAYS feels guilty, no matter what, for which I thank my Jewish mother.  The essence of Jewish motherhood is of course best captured in the riddle “How many Jewish mothers does it take to change a light bulb?”  The answer is (of course) “Don’t bother. I’ll just sit here in the dark….alone….and worry.” Or: “What’s the difference between a Rottweiler and a Jewish mother"  Answer:  “Eventually the dog will let go.”

When my sailing friend Kurt responded, "Usually," my equestrian friend Royce added, "For about a nano second" to which my Parrothead friend Sam expounded, "Definitely depends on how good everything else feels!"

And congrats to my cycling friend Ted, who pointed out, "Well after my 350 mile bike ride, all my other parts do hurt, therefore my conscience feels good!"

Please share your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

When do you get experience?

Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably And never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal

I didn't realize how many wonderful and caring people there are.  My mom was diagnosed with a brain tumor late last week.  While the primary care physician and team at Baltimore's Sinai Hospital are as compassionate as they are skilled, the care, support and words from so many friends helping my dad, my sister, my wife and me, confirms that our world has a huge, huge number of very good people in spite of what we read in the media.  Alison and I are truly blessed to have y'all in our lives.
    
Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration.







No comments: