Monday, May 19

When do you get experience?



In response to last week’s question, "When do you get experience?", my writing and sailing friend Rich explained, "For some it is when they feel the warmth of the fire, for others it is when their hair bursts into flame."

My cousin Don recalled, "Right about when you say to yourself, I shouldn’t have done that (like Twain, carrying the cat by the tail)," to which my friend Richard advised, "Good judgment comes from experience. Where does experience come from? BAD judgment!"   This might explain why my sailing friend Bradley pointed out, "I always get experience when I don’t want it.

My dad's beach buddy Bob responded, "Every day as you look back at yesterday's Gains & Losses."  My friend Tracey  revealed, "You get experience right after you get turned down for a coveted job for not having enough experience."

My friend temple friend Ed wrote, "I really don't know--you will have to ask Jimi Hendrix" to which my sailing friend Mike added, "Jimi Hendrix once asked me "are you experienced?"  Then my social media friend Mark explained, "Well, it has been a few years since I tried to understand Hendrix, but if memory serves me well, a bit of medicinal marijuana helped greatly."

My engineering friend Steve advised, "While not always successful, I try for everyday," to which my friend Lon  G  added, "as you and I  regularly quote the immortal words of Yoda:"Do. Or do not. There is no try.” (From The Empire Strikes Back.) One gets experience when one does something."

Please share your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?  from my friend Carrie


Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably And never regret anything that made you smile!

Hal

Thank you for the many, many prayers and kind thoughts about my mother's health.  She is stable and recuperating through rehab.  We won't know the long term prognosis for another week or two.  Alison and I are truly blessed to have y'all in our lives, so again, thank you.

Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration.








No comments: