Monday, November 10

If there is superstition, is there average-stition?



In response to last week’s question, "If there is superstition, is there average-stition?,"   my TV broadcaster friend Bill observed, "Probably a blend of superstition and low intellect" while my dad's beach buddy Bob concluded, "It is sort of like an undecided atheist on his death bed."

My cycling friend Ted noticed, "There is Superstition and Averagestition, but you failed to include Substitution!"

My social media friend Mark replied, "Everything that is not a superstition is an averagestition. Superstition is the belief in supernatural causality —that one event causes another without any natural process linking the two events. So an averagestition is the belief in an average causality — that one event causes another without any supernatural process linking the two events. Duh.

My writing and sailing friend Rich suggested, "If Superstition is the fear of Black Cats and No-stition is a fear of White Cats,  then Average-stition must be a fear of Gray Cats."

And my temple friend Lesley shared, "I believe your question this week needs to be answered by a seamstress of the Latina persuasion...."

Please share your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “: 

What's necessary?

Lord, give me a sense of humor; give me the ability to understand a clean joke; to get some humor out of life, and to pass it on to other folks

Hal

Please thank a veteran for his/her sacrifice that allows us to enjoy our daily freedoms.  Regardless of the poor performance of our elected officials, it is a better system than elsewhere, and I'm thankful for the people that have protected it.

Happy 85th birthday to my dad (yesterday).  Simply said, he's remarkable.  Alison and I are launching a project currently called "How One Person Impacts So Many," in which we're asking my dad's friends, family, colleagues and special interest groups what advice or help my dad provided them some time over his 85 years.  For example, he told me that regardless of what you do in business, marketing or sales, "understand and appreciate what the engineers do."  It helps effects how you build a better business model, how to provide better support and how to better relate to people.

Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.
S

No comments: