Monday, November 24

Is perfection the enemy of 'done'? and a Thanksgiving question



In response to last week’s question, "Is perfection the enemy of 'done'?", my birthday bud Jon declared, "No, Congress is."

My writing and sailing friend Rich lamented, "Is that why my wife keeps saying I’m not done yet?"

My social media friend Mark advised, "Everything is the enemy of done. But without the goal of perfection, "done" is just barely good enough."  And my writing friend Stan suggested, "Perfection is the stalking horse for other problems."  To this, my cycling friend Ted added, "Absolutely!  At least that's how it was in Dental School."

My Parrothead friend Samantha shared, "For me, perfection is the mortal enemy of sanity, but thankfully, the need for perfection is easily defeated by twin six year old boys (whom, interestingly enough, are also the enemy of sanity)."

My cousin Wes recalled, "For 6 days, G-d created and declared it good (perfect).  Then He rested (done).    OK, so we screwed it up later.  Maybe a perfect answer so I am done.  :) "

My dad's beach buddy Bob replied, "When the divorce is final with no alimony payments."

My equestrian friend Royce commented, "when you are perfect one doesn't have to worry about these things."

Please share your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “: 

Should we eat Indian food on Thanksgiving? 

Lord, give me a sense of humor; give me the ability to understand a clean joke; to get some humor out of life, and to pass it on to other folks

Hal

Wow, what an inspiring evening.  I invite you to be inspired by leaders from several different religions (http://faith.streamspot.com/venue/shared-archive?id=9a0df0c4e3 start about 5 min in)  The Palestinian speaker at about 42 minutes in was one of the highlights.  One conclusion from the night is that peace is a choice; it doesn't just happen.  Wishing you a joyous and happy Thanksgiving.

Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.
Stop by www.nichelabs.com to see what else I'm up to.

    









No comments: