Monday, December 1

Should we eat Indian food on Thanksgiving?



In response to last week’s question, "Should we eat Indian food on Thanksgiving?",  my sailing and interfaith event friend Asif replied, "We always do.... Turkey tikka masala, Butter turkey and this year I am threatened with Dumm ka turkey. :)   "  Another sailing friend, Norm shared, "Last year I cooked my turkey with a curry rub in my Big Green Egg and it was fabulous.  So yes, you can eat India(n) food on Thanksgiving while giving thanks to the "American Indians" that saved the Pilgrims' from starvation by showing them how to shoot turkey and grow corn." My birthday bud Adam agreed, "Eating Indian food like a good curry is a great idea on Txgiving."

My BBQ friend Bruce concluded, "We should eat whatever we want on Thanksgiving as long as it celebrates the harvest.  Want a pizza?  Well, there's tomatoes in the sauce and grains to make the dough.  Hyderabadi Biryan anyone?  There's some good harvest rice with that Indian goat (not baaaadd)."  

My friend Richard observed, "India and Turkey are 2 different countries with entirely different diets. However, an Indian-Turkish meal WOULD be interesting. A curry-seasoned kebab or eggplant might actually be tasty, but I’d stay away from curry-seasoned baklava." 

My birthday bud Jon requested, "Don’t care, as long as our people get to eat Chinese food on Christmas.   BTW:  I don’t think my son Jacob will have a career as a diplomat.  We were having leftovers one night, and told me to 'nuke the Chinese!'"

My equestrian friend Royce cautioned, "I thought K-Mart (and other retailers) canceled Thanksgiving."

My rescue dog loving friend David concluded, "In India, they have no choice… all food there is Indian food.  Perhaps we in the States should call it native American food?"

My writing and sailing friend Rich noted, "As a great explorer once said, it is better to eat with the natives than be eaten by them."  

And this made my social media friend Mark, "Your question is funny enough by itself and does not need a response!  It did make me think 'Should we feed our dogs hot dogs?'"

Please share your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:
Can you choke on a lifesaver?  (from my friend John)
Live. Love. Learn. Laugh .. Lighten up!  

Hal

I'm thankful for another successful "Fry-day" and for all of the friends in my life. Friends aren't your whole life; they make your life whole.  (Yes, it is paraphrasing Roger Caras' description about dogs).  

Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.
Stop by www.nichelabs.com to see what else I'm up to.









No comments: