Monday, December 22

How do you know if you spelled Hanukkah (or Chanuka) right?



In response to last week’s question, "How do you know if you spelled Hanukkah (or Chanuka) right?", my favorite jeweler Bill suggested, "Either way, you are right. Go ask your mother. To her, you are always right."   My social and big data friend Andy advised, "I spell it however my nearest tribe member tells me to spell it!" to which my dad's beach buddy Bob added, "I leave it to the recipient of this message (Hal) to correct me."

My sailing friend Bradley explained, "We Baptists spell it C-h-r-i-s-t-m-a-s and have a wreath with 4 candles, but I have some neighbors that spell it K-w-a-n-z-a-a and decorate their house with blacklights.  (Clever?)  However you spell it, and however you light your home, I hope you have a fantastic holiday!"

My cycling friend Ted recommended that "we will leave that decision to the Wise Rebi Shmuley Clausenstein"

My social collaboration friend Paul Miller pointed out that "this is an easy one.   Just go to Google (organizer of all the world’s information) and start typing.   ‘Google Instant’ should be enabled with your preferences and will finish the spelling for u."   My writing friend Stan challenged this, writing, "Hanukkah – or Chanukkah – or Hanukka – or however you want to spell it is  in English. There's only one way in Hebrew. It’s sort of like road signs on Israeli highways. Easier to read the Hebrew."  Then again, my equestrian friend Royce, "Ya spin the dreidel to narrow your options, give up trying to figure which way to spell it  and just eat the foil covered chocolate gelt."

My friend Richard replied, "If you spell it wrong, you don’t get any presents!   I think that in the spirit of interreligious comity, we should merge all of these seasonal holidays into Chrismahannukwanzikah. We’ll put the requisite number of candles on an artificial tree (since a real one would likely combust and be unsafe), light them, and stand in a circle around it holding hands and singing 'Kumbaya.'                             '

And my social media friend Mark wrote, "Eye dew knot no."  (Ewe r for four for.)

Please share your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

How do you present presents presently?

Live. Love. Learn. Laugh .. Lighten up!  

Hal

Merry Christmas to my Christian friends. If you hope for peace, then this 9 min speech by a Palestinian Muslim in a Jewish synagogue is something to see and share!   http://youtu.be/3cSnWhsix3c  

Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.
Stop by www.nichelabs.com to see what else I'm up to.
   









No comments: