Monday, November 3

Should children accept candy from strangers? (for Halloween)



In response to last week’s question, "Should children accept candy from strangers?,"  my neighbor Al  replied, "Only the ones they know."   My St. Martin sailing friend Bradley added, "A stranger is just a friend you haven’t met" while my temple friend Lesley queried, "Can there be such a person as a bad friend?"

My social media friend Mark concluded, "It really depends on witch stranger it is and witch candy they are handing out."

My collaboration friend Paul cautioned, "Accept only jelly beans or Swedish fish.  Can’t put razor blades in either of those (and they’re both AWESOME)."  My Parrothead friend Samantha shared, "Isn't the point of Halloween for children to trick or treat for candy from strangers and then to have parents 'check the candy' for safety?  Every year my dad would take at least 1/2 of my haul for safety reasons.  My husband Jim already started the same with our boys."  To this, my college roomie John noted, "I am sure we all remember walking the neighborhood and ringing all the doorbells for candy whether we knew the family or not.  To some extent, I did the same with my children.  Today, I am not so sure I would."

My neighbor Henry quipped, "Does your reference to Candy and ‘strange’ have anything to do with my wife named Candy???  I can never get away with that reference."

My cycling friend Ted called out, "My answer as a parent--no way! My answer as a dentist-yes, definitely!"

My equestrian friend Royce recalled, "Considering that I am a 14 year old with a beard and if the stranger was a woman, I would emphatically say 'Hell yes!'"

Please share your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

If there is superstition, is there average-stition?  (From my former boss Tom's wife Sandra)

Never miss an opportunity to do something that makes you smile!

Hal

I started a 5K Sunday after I finished!  A first for me.  I finished at 1:16am a race that I started at 1:50am.  What a great pajama party --- and I finished best in my age group!.  http://www.anythingispossible5k.com/

Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.
Stop by www.nichelabs.com to see what else I'm up to.

   









No comments: