Monday, January 19

How do you conjugate "woof" and MLK thoughts



In response to last week’s question, "How do you conjugate "woof" (or "meow")?", my neighbor Al concluded, "How about Woof - Weft - Weave..... As for "meow" - I think its Meow - Hiss and spit - scratch and claw."  My cousin Valarie then shared her understanding, "Just running through the first, second, and third person singular and plural present tense, you'd have woof, woof, woofs, woof, woof, woof. I won't present other tenses because that would be a lot of barking, and my neighbor's dog might become alarmed. I won't even begin to meow lest said dog come after me!"

My writing and sailing friend Rich declared, "Dogs and Cats conjugating!  Can Armageddon be far behind?" to which my equestrian friend Royce asked, "Is conjugate like, and/or similar to conjugal?"  Then my dad's beach buddy Bob replied, "If it is to procreate, forget it.  You might end up with a werewolf."  (See bottom of email for more on this). 

My sailing friend Norm shared, "My dog Gracie can definitely conjugate "woof".  If I were to send you an audio file, you can tell when her "woof" means 'feed me,' or "woof" means my water bowl is empty, or "woof' means 'you left the gate to the back deck stairs closed and I gotta go badly'.   Here's photo of her looking at me wondering why I don't understand what she is woofing". 

My friend Alan responded, "Milo says Ruff!  Ruff! while Joanna didn’t respond when I asked her." while my cousin Wes wrote, "Rosie says, 'I woof. You woof. He/she woofs.  We woof. They woof. So woof, woof-woof, woof woooooooof.' "
My neighbor Al also wanted us to know "the different forms of conjugate?  Conjugation or conjugate may refer to:

Grammatical conjugation, the modification of a verb from its basic form
Conjugate (algebra), used to rationalize the denominator of a fraction
Conjugate (graph theory), an alternative term for a line graph, i.e. a graph representing the edge adjacencies of another graph
Conjugation (group theory), the image of an element under the conjugation homomorphisms
Conjugated systems of p-orbitals in chemical molecules
Conjugation (acid-base theory), a system describing a conjugate acid-base pair
Conjugation (biochemistry), the turning of substances into a hydrophilic state in the body
Conjugation (microbiology), a mechanism of exchange of genetic material between bacteria.

Please share your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “: 

Why can't we all just get along?

Live. Love. Learn. Laugh .. Lighten up!  

Hal

In addition to his "I Have a Dream" speech, here are other things said by Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

·         The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.
·         We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.
·         Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
·         We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now.
Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.  Stop by www.nichelabs.com to see what else I'm up to.

     



No comments: