Monday, December 21

How bad is an uneducated guess? + a Winter Solstice question



In response to last week’s question, "How bad is an uneducated guess?,"   my cousin Greg and my equestrian friend Royce concluded, "It depends if your schooling was in street smarts or book smarts," to which my writing and sailing friend Rich added, "If chapter 21 is titled 'I make an uneducated guess', then chapter 22 is usually titled, 'It seemed like a good idea at the time.' "

My Parrothead friend Sam shared, "Finals week here at Tech, so seeing quite a few uneducated guesses.  Those are not nearly as bad as uneducated declarations."

My dad's beach buddy Bob cautioned, "The odds are that you will be right most of the time.  The educated ones are driving our country down the road to oblivion."

My sailing friend Kurt advised, "I can't even guess how bad it would be, probably a case of GIGO (garbage in/garbage out)."

My jeweler friend in Georgia Bill queried, "It depends if you are from Alabama or not?"

My social media friend Mark replied, "I guess any guess is only as good as its guesser," to which my temple friend Lesley added, "as an educated guess. If it's a guess, then there is no surety behind it, yes? Maybe? Perhaps?"

Please share your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

Where did the day go?  (Today is the Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year for the Northern Hemisphere)

Life  is too short for drama and petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly, and forgive quickly.
Hal


As a fan of sunlight and its Vitamin D, this is my most challenging day of the year…..on the brightside, the days will start getting longer!
Today in Atlanta:            Only 9hr, 54min of daylight compared to 14hr, 24min on Jun 21 (4.5 hour difference)
Today in Fairbanks:       Just  3hr, 41min of daylight compared to  21hr, 49 min on Jun 21 (18 hour difference)

To all of my Christian friends, Merry Christmas! Remember the reason for the season.  To my Jewish, Muslim, Sikh and Hindu friends:  Anyone for Chinese food on Friday?  ;-)

And thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.  Stop by NicheLabs to see what else I'm up to.

No comments: