Monday, December 14

Should you borrow money from pessimists since they don't expect it back?



In response to last week’s question, "Should you borrow money from pessimists since they don't expect it back?," my social media friend Mark replied, "Yes, and No you cannot borrow any money," to which my business collaboration friend Tricia wrote, "Very interesting...and so very true!  :)  "

My videographer friend Ivan suggested, "I would like to borrow $10 from you, but only give me $5.  That way I'll owe you five and you'll owe me five."

My dad's beach buddy Bob recalled, "I did once and I made the bank's wish come true."

My PR friend Stan cautioned, "No, they’ll want more interest and hound you more."  This may have led my networking friend Andrew to share, "Whenever we are borrowing money, we are optimists, since we believe we will be able to pay it back (usually). Therefore, we should borrow only from pessimists, so that the optimist/pessimist balance is maintained in the universe.  Of course, Shakespeare said wisely through Polonius in "Hamlet" (so I guess he was a "pessimist" about borrowing in general):   
Polonius:
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

And my temple friend Bob responded, "Borrow money from an optimist and start another pessimist -- or, borrow money from an optometrist regardless of what he is."

Please share your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

How bad is an uneducated guess?  from Demitri Martin

Live. Love. Learn. Laugh .. Lighten up!  
Hal
 
And thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.  Stop by NicheLabs to see what else I'm up to.

No comments: