Monday, April 25

Can you be short for your height?

A ponderable with the humor in the vein of George Carlin, Steven Wright and Demetri Martin...

In response to last week’s question, "Can you be short for your height?,"  my temple friend Richard summarized, "Of course you can. People come up short lots of times, and sometimes we are short with others, yet our height never changes. However, our stature often changes if we act small with others," to which my improv friend Bruce added, "if you're shortsighted."

My birthday bud Jon recalled, "Not if your legs are long enough to reach the ground, to borrow a line from Abraham Lincoln."  To this, my canyon-loving Utah friend Bruce added, "Only if there is a difference in the length of your legs" and my equestrian friend Royce wrote, "Only if you are small in stature."

My cycling friend Ted shard, "Yes, my wife is very tall in stature for all her 5 feet. Therefore logic dictates you can be short for your height as well.  BTW it is also possible to be really cute for your height too! (love you Carey!)"

My college roomie John explained, "It's all relative. I like to think I am tall for my height!  I was told at a very young age, "stand up straight, chest out, shoulders back (of course, men then suck in their belly)."

My sailing friend Norm lamented, "Yes, I have always been short for my height.  In a crowd, all I can see are bellies" while my social media friend Mark replied, "Yes. You are whatever your height is. I am short."

And my dad's beach buddy Bob cautioned, "There is a great difference between being tall, very tall and having a short curt answer."

Please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

Why does ice float?  given that it is the same chemical make-up as its liquid form

Life  is too short for drama and petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly, and forgive quickly.   
Hal

Please join me in wishing my son and his new wife mazel tov and best wishes. They decided to have a judge marry them yesterday in Marietta.  They plan to celebrate their success of being a married couple sometime in the future, like after their first year,  instead of 'just celebrating their union.'  Welcome Natasha.


PS:  Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.  Stop by NicheLabs to see what else I'm up to.

No comments: