Monday, August 29

Is it more fun when you can't see clearly?

In response to last week’s question, "Is it more fun when you can't see clearly?," my writing and sailing friend Rich wrote simply, "Clearly," while my IT friend Kosol shared, "Yes it is exciting when you can't see clearly. When I don't have my contacts in or glasses on, just like life, I'll never know who I'll run into or grab." 

My media mogul friend Bill cautioned, "It depends on the reason that you can't see clearly," to which my birthday bud Jon concurred, "Depends why.  I sort of recall that being fun.  Years ago…….."   My cycling friend Ted added, "As a college frat boy--absolutely!! As a middle aged dude who has to wear those stupid reading glasses-no way!"

To this, my temple friend Tracey advised, "Only in the moment. After that the hindsight thing gets in the way."

When my neighbor Al  replied, "Not at the beach..." my hiking friend Kelly qualified this, referencing last week's answer, "Yes, It is when non-statuesque people are running around nude."

My PR friend Stan recalled, "Being nearsighted, no. Hallucinogens could be another story."  And my sailing friend Norm shared, "In college we turned off the lights for a reason !! Definitely more fun in the dark when you can't see all the details." 

My networking friend Andrew counseled, "I will reiterate Coach Eric Taylor's famous words from "Friday Night Lights"--"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!"

My temple friend Vivian proclaimed, "Sometimes being in a fog (mentally) is very advantageous," to which my equestrian friend Royce noted, "There have been times when the answer is yes. But one has to consider that the mind was clouded from way too many adult beverages."

My cousin Greg queried, "But how will I know the rain is gone?"

And my cousin Wes chuckled, "For me, I find the fun in clearly watching the unclear stumble and bumble around."


Please send me your thoughts about this week's "things that make you go 'Hmmm' “:

When is labor a labor of love?

The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.
Hal

To my Atlanta friends and others who are in Atlanta on Labor Day weekend, please join me on Sun or Mon at Noshfest -- a community event of Jewish food and fun, including a bagel eating contest.  Click here for Noshfest details.


Thanks to Demetri Martin, Steven Wright and George Carlin for the inspiration for Hmmm.   I invite you to call or email me so  I can share what  I'm up to.

No comments: